Facilitating Change: Supporting Effective and Sustainable Action Groups
A 7 day residential workshop in rural Wales, 15th-22nd March 2013.
Effective group-work and high quality decision-making. That’s what we all long for, right? Yet bad process is rife in our grassroots action groups and can lead to a lack of trust and respect, frustration, resentment, burnout and ultimately group failure.
We can’t fix this overnight – Facilitating Change is an opportunity to start doing some of the work needed to build strong and sustainable direct action groups and networks.
This week-long workshop will be an opportunity to develop and strengthen our practice as facilitators and trainers, increasing the capacity, effectiveness and sustainability of our social change groups and movements. We hope to go beyond the current facilitation tools and develop our intuitive skills to help us support groups as much as possible.
We will do this by:
- Deepening our understanding of the values, attitudes and behaviours needed to facilitate effective group-work.
- Working together to develop strategies, tools, support and resources to help our groups and movements identify shared values, build trust, develop open communication and handle conflict positively.
This will help our groups make good decisions, implement them and stay sustainable and effective for the long haul!
- You are involved in grassroots activism in groups, movements or
- You’ve ever noticed how grassroots groups can be effective and
inclusive one week and shockingly bad at working together the next.
- You have some experience of facilitating meetings, workshops or
trainings within grassroots movements or if you don’t consider
yourself to be a formal facilitator, you are familiar with
participating in meetings and try to foster good process to support
your group to work effectively together.
- You have ideas about how to help groups work more effectively.
- You are keen to improve your facilitation and / or training skills.
- You intend to share your learning with your own group and your wider networks.
We have funding to cover some costs. We will also be asking participants to contribute to the costs of the event on a sliding scale of £30-£150. We don’t want to exclude anyone on the grounds of cost so please contact us if making a financial contribution to the event would prevent you from participating.
How do I apply?
Places are limited, so we have a selection process. Please contact us for an application form or download it. Get in touch to ask any questions about the course: facilitatingchangeATriseupDOTnet. Applications by 14th December, please.